Dan Johnston is an innovative and aggressive attorney with proven success on both sides of personal injury, insurance defense, breach of contract, fraud, complex commercial, and trade secrets litigation. These results have included representing seriously injured plaintiffs, pursuing novel applications of RICO and fraud statutes, representing insurance companies in high-exposure claims, pursuing and defending defamation claims, and more.
Dan also has developed a highly sought-after practice as one of the leading cannabis attorneys in the State of New York for both litigation needs and business consulting. Dan has been featured as an expert on New York Cannabis Law in a variety of mediums, including speaking engagements at multiple industry conventions, Newsday, the Nassau Lawyer, and in a variety of podcasts and blogs.
Dan’s varied background and experience open the door to cost-effective, successful approaches to case resolution both within and beyond the courtroom. Prior to joining Bell Law Group as Of Counsel, Dan was Principal Attorney for Johnston Law LLC. In his practice, Dan frequently obtained outsized results for his clients against much larger and well-funded opposition. Dan has also practiced as a criminal prosecutor for Nassau County, and has worked with well-regarded litigation boutiques.
- J.D., The George Washington University Law School
- Cum Laude
- Winner – 2013 Spanogle International Business Arbitration Competition
- Selected to Represent GW Law in the 2014 Vis East International Arbitration Moot Competition in Hong Kong
- Mock Trial and Alternative Dispute Resolution Board Member
- B.A., SUNY Albany
- Cum Laude
Jurisdictions Admitted To Practice
- New York
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
Professional & Bar Association Memberships
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Nassau County Bar Association
- Top 3 New York Cannabis Attorneys (2021) – WayOfLeaf.com
- Top 40 under 40 Criminal Defense Trial Attorney (2019) – National Trial Lawyers Association
- Graduate – International Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy (2018) at Stanford Law